As a homeowner, it’s your job to keep your property in tip-top shape, including paying attention to potential health hazards. From lead paint to carbon monoxide, there are ways your house can affect your well-being. Let’s look at a few common home health concerns in the home and what you can do to fix them.

Heath Concerns in the Home: Lead Paint

If you live in a home built before 1978, there’s a good chance it contains lead paint. Lead-based paint is durable and used in most homes built before 1940. The federal government banned lead paint in 1977. Although lead paint is not used in homes today, it can still pose a threat if it’s disturbed or if paint chips are ingested. If you think your home may have lead paint, the best course of action is to have it tested by a professional. Once you know for sure, you can remove or cover the lead paint, so it doesn’t threaten you and your family.

Carbon Monoxide

Another potential hazard in your home is carbon monoxide. This odorless, colorless gas is produced as fuel burns, meaning many homes are at risk of carbon monoxide. The problem occurs when too much carbon monoxide builds up in an enclosed space. That’s why installing carbon monoxide detectors in your home and testing them is necessary. If the carbon monoxide alarm in your home sounds, open the windows and get out immediately – then call emergency services.


Mold is another common hazard in homes. Mold thrives in damp, dark places, so basements and bathrooms are often prime areas for mold growth. Mold is unsightly and can cause respiratory problems, skin irritation, and even headaches. If you notice patches of mold, clean them immediately.

If you’re experiencing allergy-like symptoms, frequent headaches, and fatigue, there could be hidden mold in your living spaces. In this case, the best course of action is to hire a professional mold remediation company to come and conduct testing. They’ll be able to tell you whether you have mold and can help you develop a plan to mitigate the issue.

Asbestos Products are Health Concerns in the Home

In homes constructed before the 1980s, asbestos may be present. Asbestos was once a popular construction material because it was durable and fire-resistant. However, we now know that asbestos fibers can cause lung cancer if inhaled – it’s something you want to avoid. If you think your home may contain asbestos, don’t try to remove it yourself; instead, hire an asbestos removal company to do the job for you. They’ll be able to remove any asbestos from your home safely, so you can rest easy knowing your family is safe from this dangerous substance.

Plenty of potential health concerns may exist in your home. With some knowledge and proactive measures, you can ensure your home is safe and healthy for you and your family.

Cal Home Inspection offers inspections in Sacramento, CA, and the surrounding areas. If you’re buying or selling a home, contact us to schedule an appointment.